Thursday, April 15, 2010

Making Room for the Masculine

I sat down, nestled in my cozy couch, ready to kick back and relax to a decorating show on HGtv. The gal featured was a thirty-something homeowner looking to make a change in her inherited, fixer-upper home.


Genevieve, the designer, listened patiently and intently to some of her design ideas and preferences.


I began to sense her apprehension, "You describe a very girly, feminine decor. That's fine but where are you going to make room for the masculine?"


SHOOT

Me!



Where are you going to make room for the MASCULINE?

What happened to my wind-down, mindless decorating show?


How was I making room for him? What did I do with my free time? Where did I create space within for pursuit instead of protecting myself from rejection?

I watched as the story unfolded.


The surface design of the home involved changes in couches, paint color, curtains, textures, and art but the deeper layers revealed:

OPENING UP TO HOPE

BELIEVING THE STORY IS STILL UNFOLDING

CREATING S P A C E WITHIN & WITHOUT.

for HIM.

It was like Surround Sound was turned up in a way only the Holy Spirit can and I heard it...


"Make space."


Fast forward a few months. Not a whole lot has changed but little by little space is being made.


Since the new year, the image of a MOOSE has shown up more than once and I wonder, "What in the heck is this?" Normally I wouldn't give it a second thought, but remember I had just heard the above so my ears were in Holy Spirit High Surveillance mode.


I know, I know. When you get something in your head, it sticks and you begin to see it everywhere. Yea, at times this is true. But what was I supposed to do with this?


I get home and begin opening up to my roommate, Tanya, about this strange "moose" phenomena.


"Tan, I feel crazy. A moose?"


"Well then..." (A wide grin sprouts on that beautiful face).


"THIS MUST BE FOR YOU!"


She begins to slowly pull a card out of her purse she just found. Turns it around and....




There he was...


Weeks later, I'm still making room.


BEFORE:
IN PROCESS:

I'm under-construction:


Being the BEAUTY


O P E N I N G MYSELF UP


Presenting the gift...ME!




As the show came to a close, I watched the single gal trying to hold back her quiet fear but giddy expectancy...

Waiting for the "reveal"

It...

was....

beautiful....

A new, reformed, better than before, interior design.
Perfectly made for 1 2!

1 comment:

KYLE AND LISA said...

Neat post, cute decor! :)