Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Reflective Wednesday


P L A Y ! 

Puddles, rain boots, cozy coats and funny faces. In the moment, no past or future hovering over to take away from this...the moment.

My nieces and nephews constantly invite me into this spiritual practice. I want to catch up on past events, "How was school? How about so-and-so's Birthday party last week? What are you up to this week?" 

However, Auntie Sue is quickly reminded by their response or lack there of, of the tedious effort required to go back or try to foresee. Simply put, they are living only for the n o w.   

Be with me n o w.

Right in the moment. Right for this game or that. A new art project or reading of favorite book.  Everything lies in the possibilities of the n o w.

So how come as adults do we so often live in the "what might have been..."or "what are we gonna do next?"mentality when what we have available to us is right before us.  

I'm often brought back to Jesus' teaching that we must become like children to know him.  

He called a little child to him, and placed the child among them. And he said: “Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever takes the lowly position of this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. (Matthew 18:2-4)

And so while I like that I am an adult, able to have meaningful conversations and such. I gotta say there is something profoundly special about a child's ability to be in the now and let it be enough.

I pray today we will let it be enough.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Is that the famous Emma Rose leading us? Thanks for the lovely blogs. RCS