Monday, October 1, 2012

15 Minute Reflection


The past couple weeks a small group of us started practicing a daily reflection where for 10 to 15 minutes every night before we go to bed, we pause and think about the day. Now, let me stop you right there (for this leads to a confession). I have forgotten about half the days thus far. 

Yup, the one who initiated the practice forgot!

Which I like to think is why it is called a practice. You keep making it a part of your daily routine, rhythm, whatever you want to call it, and that takes practice.  I've been giddy on nights I actually remember to do it. 

So now you are asking, "What is this practice you speak of Young Jedi?" ( I imagine this question being asked in wise Yoda voice). 

Well....We are simply reflecting on the moments that make up our day. Seeing it as a way to be present to our lives, to give thanks, to look for how Jesus showed up, to confess, to pause and take it all in. It never ceases to amaze me how quickly I move on from the moment and fail to see what has taken place.  

David Benner in The Gift of Being Yourself calls it looking for "Divine presence in everyday experience." It is, "meeting God in the concrete circumstances of life...down-to-earth spirituality in which we encounter God in the mundane and familiar parts of regular life...The omnipresent God whose name is Immanuel is not distant but nearer to us than we can imagine. God is not alien to the circumstances of our lives but comes to us in them. Our challenge is to unmask the Divine in the natural and name the presence of God in our lives." (p 41-42)

A couple things I like about this practice thus far.  

  1. Before I go to bed it keeps me from mindless time reading Facebook updates from people I haven't talked to since 1983.
  2. I actually take in my day and think about the ebbs and flows.
  3. It opens my heart to God as I naturally begin to offer words of praise, confessions of fear or failure, prayers for someone I came into contact with or a situation I hope to handle differently next time.
  4. I actually start to see that sneaky fella and how he showed up in unexpected places and disguises.
  5. I start to anticipate the next day and think about it differently: What was missing today that I want more of tomorrow? What Jesus do you want me to be aware of for tomorrow? Or what heart space is opening up that I simply need to let You love me in?
Why not give it a try?  See how just 10 to 15 minutes will bless you as you celebrate the sacred (and I promise Jesus has some fun surprises as He shows you where he's showing up daily!)

What practices are blessing you right now? We'd love to hear.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I say some of my intercessory prayers when I get into bed. It is very similar to what you are writing about as I ask God to put into my mind people or things He wants me to pray about. It sounds as if you are doing a similar thing plus a bit more.
Love,
Mum